Friday, April 8, 2011

Thing I've Learned #77: Don't Hit Your Kid or He'll Become a Serial Killer

Today's lecture in forensics was "The Macdonald Triad, or, Mrs. Stevens Notes on Parenting." Basically, it covered two things:
One, if you beat your child and destroy his self confidence, you're setting him up for a future of murder.
Two, children understand more than you think.

Is this significant? No, not really. Not until you have kids, at least. It was just something I learned.

In other news, going to New York today to spend the weekend with family I don't particularly like. And that I just saw a week ago. Extended family is a necessary evil, I understand and accept this fact. However, that comes with the acknowledgement that you are only supposed to see them at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and maybe one or two other assorted times throughout the year. Twice in a week...that's a little much for a girl to handle. Especially when they are drunk and/or Catholic and one of your cousins is a lesbian and no one wants to talk about it which makes for awkward conversations and the littlest ones are screaming annoyances and the middle ones are preteen brats and all you want to do is sit and read your books and have FIVE MINUTES OF PEACE AND QUIET. FIVE MINUTES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

I love my family. I really do. But they are Italian and I wish they had a volume button.

No comments:

Post a Comment