Saturday, November 21, 2009

Thing I've Learned #45: There is Nothing In the World Better Than Books

My random despair has been cured by equal dose of healthy crying and ass kicking. So I'm all good in novel land now. Thursdays were never good days for me, but you know, that killer math test wasn't so bad. 80% FOR THE WIN. Friday was the start of what promises to be an amazing week. Mom and I went to the mall, I indulged in some serious retail therapy, and then...then we went to Border.

Oh yeah baby, BOOKS. I am a firm believer in the fact that books are necessary to sustain life. I know that I, for one, would certainly die without them. I found the third book in one of my all time favorite series. I literally danced in the aisle. If you like pirates, intrigue, and sex (in a non-romance-novely way) all in a fantasy setting, you should read Inda by Sherwood Smith. This woman is my hero. As I writer, I strive to write more like her. Anyway, so I got the third book in the Inda series. It took every ounce of my willpower to not start it that night.

But my willpower faded today. So, I started reading and was reminded of why I adore these books. Two characters who have been in love but in denial since book one finally got around to DOING something about it. And yes I do mean they made love. Exiled main character returns home, and it turns out his best friend the king has a massive crush on him. And, well, dinner at the castle is just one knot of seriously awkward sexual tension. Oh, and there was a naval battle. With pirates! And this was just in the first 100 pages! Sherwood Smith, I worship you.

But don't think this means I was a bad girl and didn't write anything. Because I did. Sarah and I went to Nora's house for writers club this morning, and she gave us hot chocolate and chocolate muffins. Guess who my new best friend is? I made sure I had my word count before I read anything, so there. I was GOOD. Speaking of writing, I have to go fish my characters out of the middle of a sex scene. Oh lord. I'm getting really tired of writing those. And whenever I complain, Sarah says, "Well, that's kind of what your novel is about." Yes. It is. But that doesn't mean I have to like it anymore. -headdesk-

And on Monday, to Cancun, bitches. Best Thanksgiving break ever? I think so.

Words: 35, 068. Pages: 100. Sex scenes: 6. Amount of material I've left out: Enough to make a mountain that would rival Olympus.

No comments:

Post a Comment