Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Thing I've Learned #3: We Don't Need a Fountain of Youth, We Need a Fountain of Smart

I got 100% on my APUSH quiz today. I am very pleased.

And you know, I did my homework and read the chapter in the textbook, but I didn't really study. I've always been like this, not needing to study and still getting good grades. (Except for math. Math is the epic failure of my life.) I got the good memory from my dad. (His mathematical genius, not so much.) But that's not my point. My point is this: there's a difference between being ignorant, and being stupid. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being ignorant. That is simply not knowing, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with not knowing. (Or not remembering.) You can learn. Even if it's not easy, you can ALWAYS learn. Stupidity, on the other hand... Stupidity is not so easily cured.

Example: the two jackasses at my biology table. They provide a prime example of both cases. They are ignorant because they know nothing about biology aside from the animals they've seen splattered on the side of the road. That's okay, because I'm sure (hopeful?) they'll get their asses in gear and actually learn the subject as the year progresses. They are stupid, because they insist on pestering me and hitting on me. And when they do, I punch them. Do they stop? No, because they are stupid.

Another example of stupidity, albeit a four-legged one. Today I had my riding lesson. Horses, get your minds out of the gutter. :D I rode a lovely black and white paint by the original name of Oreo. Oreo is a very, very stupid horse. He's a pretty horse, and he's got a lot of potential talent, but phew! is he dumb. He tries to run over you every time you put him back in his stall, regardless of how many times you yell at him or smack him. And here's the kicker: he can't seem to figure out how to jump. He sort of...trips over all the jumps. That's the best way I can describe it. You'd have to see it. Needless to say, he got the snot beaten out of him today. Heh heh. I may be tiny, but Kate (that's the owner of the barn) lets me ride the difficult horses, 'cause I don't take no crap from NO horse, not no way, not no how. Which is why I always get stuck with the "problem children." My first horse, Lillie, she was a real piece of work. God, I loved that horse to death, but she was a reeeaaaaaaaal piece of work. She was a teenager, in people years, and she was female. I'm sure you all know how teen girls act, and what do you know, horses are no different. I recall one incident specifically, because everyone at the barn talked about it for weeks after. When Lillie was angry, or tired, or just felt like it, she bucked. I don't remember what set her off, but she reared up and kicked out with her back legs while her front feet were still in the air. I didn't fall off. I've been famous for my "Velcro butt" ever since. My current horse is an adorable little pony named Bond, James Bond. Oh, lawdy lawdy lawdy. If you look up "spazz" in the dictionary, I promise you there will be a picture of my horse. He's afraid of two things: things that move, and things that don't. There's also the other random, assorted freakazoids I get put on. Cybil, who gets so excited about jumping she forgets how to stop. And Jazzy isn't a freakazoid, per se, she just likes to scare the shit out of me for no apparent reason. Cybil and Jazzy are also roughly the size of a dinosaur. Cybil even makes noises like one. So there I am, tiny little me, stuck on horse-a-saurus. Can't I ever catch a break and ride a good horse? But I digress.

This is what I think: What's-his-face, Balboa or de Gama or whatever, he should have been looking for brain water, because honestly, we have quite enough youth, thank you very much. (Madonna may beg to differ.)

In relation, or at least partially in relation, because it doesn't have anything to do with stupidity but it has a lot to do with what I think, Sarah and I decided today that we should invent a time machine. (Well, not invent, really. Neither of us have the smarts or ability to do so. I'm thinking find and commandeer one. :D Someones got to have one, right? Area 51...the Japanese...) Wouldn't that be AWESOME, though? I want to go meet my twin muses. I'll not get into them now. It's too long of a story. I'd have so much fun. Ancient Egypt, ancient Greece, the Roman empire...the Renaissance...fwee! I wonder how Alexander the Great would react to a couple of fangirls? I need to learn how to say, "I love you, marry me" in Greek before we go, because I intend to find myself a Spartan husband. Jeez, I'm such a nerd. So, about that time machine...anybody have any idea where to start? Maybe the Batcave...

No comments:

Post a Comment