Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Thing I've Learned #15: I Am Undeniably, Irrevocavbly, Without a Shadow of a Doubt, a Nerd

None of my friends know (or knew, since I have lectured them at length) who Niccolo Machiavelli is. I, lover of history, was horrified by this. Thus, I have made it my solemn mission to teach the world about Niccolo Machiavelli.

Today I bought a copy of "The Prince."

I have never felt more like a nerd in my life.

Or been more excited.

It's pretty...and purple...and satin... xD And did I mention he talks about Cesare? That, for me, is the cherry on top. Two of my favorite renaissance historical figures, all in one book. Granted, one is the author, but still.

So, my friends, do you know what time it is? It's historical lecture time! Let us begin, shall we? Cesare Borgia, son of Pope Alexander VI. Don't you just love a scandal? He lived during Machiavelli's time, which is the late 1400's to the early 1500's. Let me tell you a little something about the Borgia family: they put the f-u-n in dysfunctional family. The entire family is famous (or should I say infamous?) for nepotism. And incest, which was all the rage back then. Or, well, rumors of incest at least, between Lucrezia Borgia--Cesare's younger sister--and her father, and between Lucrezia and Cesare. (There may have also been a certain assassin thrown into this mix...or not.) And good lord, the intrigue! Not that that wasn't common in noble Italian families in the renaissance, I just happen to have taken a certain interest in this particular family. And then there was the whole matter of Cesare killing Lucrezia's second husband. Poor girl, she was really just a political pawn. Mwahaha... Ahem. I think that's a long enough rant, don't you?

Back to my version of reality, which may or may not actually be reality. I am utterly awesome, because I got my first APUSH unit test back today...and I got a friggin' 94! Which WINS AT LIFE. It's a Wednesday, which means short day and GLEE! I adore Glee. My mother dislikes it, for some unfathomable reason. And I can't seem to recall what else happened yesterday. Which is strange, considering it was only yesterday. But I do get forgetfulness from my mother. Oh! Oh! We watched part of the Lion King today in biology, because we were talking about food chains and food webs. It absolutely made my day. Now I am going to go watch a movie. Tokyo Drift? Hunchback of Notre Dame? We shall see, we shall see.

Random quote of the day: "My scandal senses are tingling!"

No comments:

Post a Comment