Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Thing I've Learned #20: Coins From Iceland Have Fish On Them

I thought this was particularly exciting. Today in Chinese we learned how to talk about exchanging money. Like, how to ask for the exchange rate and say how much money you wanted. Einstein and I got to talking about foreign money, how the British pound is fatter than the American dollar, how there's 1000 yen coins, which is like a ten dollar coin...silly stuff like that. And then he mentioned that there were fish on Icelandic coins. Stuff like sardines and crabs. I have never been more excited over money in my life. Or more determined to go somewhere.

I really meant to practice writing snark for NaNo today, I really did. I have a story about Polydeuces and Castor that's been sitting around since August, waiting to be finished. I was going to work on it, honest! But...on my way to sixth period Patroclus stood up and started narrating. What's a writer to do but write what she is given? So write I did, though not what originally intended. And let me tell you, this piece is the weirdest thing ever, considering Patroclus is dead for most of the story. And yet still manages to tell it. It's kind of surreal, at least for me. Perhaps, when I finish the segment I started, I'll put it up for you to read?

In other (bad) news, I went to the dentist today. And now my teeth ache. Not fun not fun not fun. I had the weirdest deja vu when I was there. Mom and I both had appointments, and she went first. I was writing with my iPod on while I was waiting, and I had remembered sitting in the exact same spot, writing and listening to my iPod, two years ago. It was kind of freaky.

Due to the fact that I did not write what I was supposed to, I am now worrying about November more than ever. It's not even the deed that I'm nervous about writing so much as the emotion. These characters...they're really passionate. They love so fiercely, care so deeply, and yet...because of who they are, what they are, sex itself is nothing to them. I'm afraid I won't be able to get that across the way I need to. Let's take Marce and Bailey for example, (mostly because I just want to talk about them) another one of the three couples in my NaNo. Marce the angry redhead and Bailey the fragile china doll. Marce is all sharp angles and bad attitude, and Bailey might as well be a mouse. A crybaby mouse. Marce has always looked after the sensitive, younger Bailey. Bailey sees the softy behind Marce's swear words, and is generally the only one who can calm him down when he's pissed. Or cranky. Which is often. Yet another odd, opposite couple. I'm seeing a theme here. Anyway, while they care for each other far beyond friendship, neither of them believes in "love" because of the lifestyle they're forced to live. Hence, while they are (whether they themselves admit it or not) in love, sex means nothing. Plus, it's not like sex is anything new in their relationship. The guys at the Phoenix sleep with each other all the time, simply for the purpose of "let me show you what I learned" or "teach me how to do this." No emotion is involved. Which is where I am frightened. How do you write something so profound with the nonchalance of talking about the weather? I shall learn. I have no choice.

Wow. That was a rant. Sorry guys. Marce and Bailey are generally my favorites. They're so opposite, and it never ceases to amaze me how they rub off on each other.

25 days until madness. Oddly, I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment